Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Note to Self: Smile Less

Its only 5:35 pm here, and I feel like I have had the longest day possible. Time for una siesta! This morning, I took the metro alone to school for the first time. I left around 8:16 to walk to the metro station and arrived at Moncloa (the last stop on the yellow line) to walk to IES. It took me more or less 15 minutes to get there. Since I hadn’t been to the grocery store yet, I was on my own for breakfast. I decided that since I had extra time, I would stop at “Dunkin’ Coffee” the Spanish version of “Dunkin’ Donuts” at the Moncloa metro station. While I never been to one in America, the branding seemed the same except the ones in Spain sell French fries and other foods not usually found in a Donut store. I ordered in Spanish; on the menu iced coffee was labeled as “Iced Coffee.” But once I used my American accent to pronounce “Iced Coffee” the woman spoke to me in English. Apparently, it is considered a friendly and nice gesture to be spoken to me in English. But once I learn the language, I think it will become frustrating that I can be identified as English speaking because of my looks, especially since I am here to learn the language fluently.

During orientation, we were placed in to groups to learn cultural differences and grammar. My profesora also teaches the Spanish for business class that I am taking during the semester. The class was from 9 to 1 (I don’t actually know because I am horrible at converting military time and don’t check my phone for the time often). One of the most surprising things I learned was that Spanish people don’t often smile. Now- I knew this because of my two days walking around and taking the metro, but I didn’t know that smiling to a person on the street is similar to the American version of waving and signifies that you want to talk to someone directly. I found this particularly funny because I often smile when I am uncomfortable, when I make eye contact with anyone, or I don’t understand. I can only imagine what sort of awkward situations this is going to get me in.

I didn’t fully take advantage of the lunch break, only buying a juice box so by the end of class I was ready to have an Ariel meltdown. I can understand almost everything spoken to me in Spanish but to have my brain on for that many hours is exhausting. Tired, hungry, far from mi casa, and done speaking and listening to only Spanish, I was not excused. The 10 or so students that signed up for Internships had to wait and meet with the profesora. The students that I talked after the meeting were ready to drop. IES does not guarantee placement in any specific internship, and you have to take six classes just in case a company does not hire you. I was happy to hear that a high level of Spanish is not required because many speak English in the office. However, the aspect of the program that I am looking forward to least are my liberal arts courses in Spanish, and adding an extra class just in case does not sound like fun. It was interesting to talk with the other students who have requirements and are looking for something to put on their resume. Unlike any other student, I am really only in Spain to have fun, learn the language, and take classes that I am interested in. Unfortunately, IES requires that students take 15 credits which is equivalent to at least four additional courses to my grammar class. I want to travel, but at this point, I don’t have anyone to travel with.

Despite my extreme hunger, I waited for a few of the girls to finish their one on one meeting with una profesora so that I had people to walk to the metro with. Sitting in the IES center, I observed how many Spanish students hung out in our IES lounge. I have been told that not only do Spaniards have an obsession with American girls but they also stare- a lot. This is particularly uncomfortable when random guys shout out “hi” or other English phrases they know to get your attention. Yesterday, a Spanish student made quite a spectacle in the lobby, and I learned that it is custom for older students to dare the freshman to do funny tasks. I sincerely hope that is why some random person approached us while eating in the lobby and asked us for our phone numbers.

A student from Kentucky who lives in an apartment kindly agreed to come with me to the grocery store near my house. We spent a very long time combing the aisles deciding what to buy. I was please to recognize the logo of certain American brands, even if they had a different name. This trip to the store is my chance to try small portions of different products and figure out which ones I like.

Thoughts about the grocery store:

  • Milk is in a non-refrigerated box.
  • The hand baskets also roll.
  • Why are there so many types of yogurt?
  • Why don’t they just call Manchego cheese Manchego?
  • The grocers must weigh the fruit for you.
  • Some brands have the same logo as in America but a different name.

Thoughts about blogs:

  • Wow! Blogs are fun to read. Please get a blog if you are abroad if you don’t already have one.
  • Who needs a book to read at home when you can read Becca’s novel length blog.
  • I don’t want to edit this because it is too long.
  • What if I forget to mention something?
  • Now I don’t have to recap my day on the phone to my mom!
  • So many of these sentences end in prepositional phrases and Mrs. Maguire (my freshman English teacher) would not approve.
  • How do I know if my blog entry is too long??
  • I love reading my friends’ blogs because they reflect their personality. Why does mine feel so dull and schedule like?
Hasta manana! (I definitely need to learn how to add accent marks on my computer...)

1 comment:

  1. option-e, then the letter you want to accent. option-n for maƱana. (I took German but know a wee bit.)

    ReplyDelete