Thursday, September 1, 2011

No Spain No Gain?

No spain no game? No pain no game, no pain no gain, no Spain no gain. My aunt Martiza would always tell my sister and me, "No pain no gain" whenever we complained- which was a lot. I misheard her and have only been recently been ridiculed by my misinterpretation of the phrase. No pain- no game. Like the game of life or a board game that you want to win... get it?

I decided to study abroad in Spain after my trip there during the summer of my senior year. Every time I toured a college, I was sure to ask if they had a study abroad program in Spain. Once I approached the fall of my junior year, I knew where I was going: to Espana, the home of my grandparents and a small town that shares my middle name and my mom's last name, Muscarolas.

I have always thought that the best way to overcome a fear is to face it. With this mentality, I signed up for IES Abroad Madrid. While Madrid was my least favorite city when I visited, I wanted to give myself the best chance to be placed in a Marketing internship. And while I made my abroad plans, I challenged myself in ways that I start to regret as I prepare for my trip. Not an apartment- a homestay. Not English classes- all will be taught in Spanish. Not Business classes- a class on Architecture. Not a program with people I know well- all new students from different universities in the US. I strongly believe that people have an ability to challenge themselves in new ways by removing themselves from their comfort zone; trying new foods, speaking in foreign languages, and most importantly- trying new things. And with that mentality, I begin my final preparations for Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment